Monday, July 14, 2008

MAX 5 - Sequencer for Kenton Pro-Solo

Hello... so it's been a while since I posted. In that time I decided to learn how to use MAX/MSP. I bought MAX 5 and have been tweaking away to my hearts content every night since :)

The picture above is the second little app I made in Max. You can double click on it to get a better look. It's a sequencer to control my modular synth. I use the Kenton Pro Solo MIDI/CV converter and it has Pitch CV/GATE and an Aux CV so I have 3 sequencers, one for each.

The sequencer goes from 2 to 64 steps, it outputs MIDIclock which is great for my little Doepfer A-160/161 sequencer/clock divider. Each sequencer has 3 possible modes Forward/Reverse and Random Step with the amount of random step being variable between 0-100%. The random step is really great on pitch. Each sequencer also has a random function that will completely randomize the output (rather than the step count).

There's a start/stop/reset and tap tempo button. The is also a little recorder to record the output of the modular. So it's all very good. I am designing it for a live performance so I'm not interested in using inside another app like ableton. I want it to be stand alone.

I kind of Jazz Lemured up the interface with the new presentation mode in MAX 5. The plan is to get a touch screen for about $60 and overlay it on a standard LCD screen and have a touch screen sequencer for my modular. If anybody out there has experience of touch screen overlays let me know.

I made a few short demos for ye to listen to... No effects and they all just use 1 oscillator and either the A-105 or A-121 filter. When it's finished and I have the touchscreen overlay I'll try and post a vid. For now here's some audio.

Grizzle Seq

11 comments:

Bapt said...

Fantastic!!! It makes me want to buy MAX MSP now! Really.

Would you share your MAX patch?
I want to use it with my MS-20...

Baptiste

vrai_son@yahoo.fr

AudioLemon said...

No problem... I have to test it out a bit more and make sure it's stable. So far so good but I just have to make sure.

It'll be another few weeks before I'm completely happy but then I'll share it no problem.

John Alpha said...

looks great Ken, i've bought MAX 5 myself to get a headstart on the sonic arts course i'm starting opp north in september.. was thinking of doin something similar ie. with a DIY touchscreen / usb interface for live manipulations and gestural control etc - good work!

AudioLemon said...

Sound John. I heard you were doing that course alright. Sounds great I'd love to do it. Maybe in a year or two :)

Bapt said...

I bought it, I just bought MAX 5.

Hit me up when you're done with the tests.

Thanks in advance.

Baptiste

AudioLemon said...

Cool Baptiste...

Tweaking fun :)

I'll send it to you when it's completely tested. It works but I might add in one more function.

Bapt said...

Yeah, this is great, I don't know where to start...
;-)

AudioLemon said...

Haha... I'm only starting myself so I can't say too much. I reckon starting with the MAX tutorials is a probably the best.

I still have a whole lot of tutorials to go :)

Maybe have a look at http://maxobjects.com/ - it seems to have every MAX/MSP, Jitter external available.

Bapt said...

Hey is it working like you want it to work?
;-)

Anonymous said...

Sweet seq ken...

Maff

Bapt said...

Just to be sure you got my e-mail addy in my first post : vrai_son@yahoo.fr
How is it going?
Baptiste